Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Two CAROL songs

TWO CAROL SONGS
"Carolina" is a diminutive form of "Carol," so that justifies including these two Carol songs in our class song list.

OH, CAROL

This song, written and charted by the legendary Chuck Berry in the 1950s was later covered by The Rolling Stones and became one of their earliest hits before Mick Jagger and Keith Richard began to wrote their own songs. There is no studio recording of Chuck Berry's classic on youtube so far as I know, though there are several live versions of the song by Berry.
    Chuck Berry, perhaps more than anyone else, deserves the title Father of Rock 'n' Roll. He charted before Elvis Presley did. More importantly, unlike Presley, he wrote his own songs (music and lyrics) and almost invented the vocabulary of Rock, both music and lyrics.
    Berry's guitar playing has influenced untold thousands if not millions of Rock guitarists and his guitar riffs are still imitated today, not least by Keith Richard of The Rolling Stones. Three of Berry's songs were covered by The Beatles in their early career, the most songs The Beatles covered by a single artist.


Oh Carol, don't let him steal your heart away
I'm gonna learn to dance if it takes me all night and day

Climb into my machine so we can cruise on out
I know a swingin' little joint where we can jump and shout
It's not too far back off the highway, not so long a ride
You park your car out in the open, you can walk inside
A little cutie takes your hat and you can thank her, ma'am
Every time you make the scene you find the joint is jammed

Oh Carol, don't let him steal your heart away
I'm gonna learn to dance if it takes me all night and day

And if you wanna hear some music like the boys are playin'
Hold tight, pat your foot, don't let 'em carry it away
Don't let the heat overcome you when they play so loud
Oh, don't the music intrigue you when they get a crowd
You can't dance, I know you wish you could
I got my eyes on you baby, 'cause you dance so good

Oh Carol, don't let him steal your heart away
I'm gonna learn to dance if it takes me all night and day

Don't let him steal your heart away
I've got to learn to dance if it takes you all night and day
Oh Carol



OH! CAROL

In the wake of Elvis Presley's perceived threat to the American Way of Life, many sanitized Rock stars emerged, mainly singers of little talent but who could be marketed safely to the mainstream American public, especially television viewers, who thought Elvis was a scandal.These were called "bubblegum" singers since they appealed mainly to young teenagers (especially girls) who chewed bubblegum!
    Neil Sedaka was certainly one of the more gifted of these stars and had a classical music education, apparent in the later cabaret type songs he composed after his initial teenage fame faded. Elton John was a fan of Sedaka and helped him in the later part of his career after The Beatle generation had consigned many of these teenage singers to oblivion.
    Nonetheless, though Sedaka's early teenager records still have a certain charm, they can hardly be called "Rock" in any meaninguful sense; they were mainly teenage pop. Only later did Sedaka mine a more adult vein, with strong lyrics and accomplished melodies reflecting his classical music background (he was groomed as a concert pianist in his early teenage years).

Oh! Carol, I am but a fool,
Darling I love you tho' you treat me cruel,
You hurt me and you made me cry
But if you leave me I will surely die.

Darling there will never be another
Cause I love you so,
don't ever leave me,
Say you'll never go
I will always want you for my sweetheart
No matter what you do
Oh! Carol, I'm so in love with you.

Oh, Carol...

.

No comments:

Post a Comment