Monday, October 5, 2009

For Emily, Wherever I May Find Her

FOR EMILY, WHEREVER I MAY FIND HER

Simon and Garfunkel were one of hte best-selling Rock acts of the 1960s before Paul Simon decided to go solo. Their biggest hits were "Sound of Silence" and "Bridge Over Troubled Water. Their vocal harmonies were modeled on the Everly Brothers, a duo of the early Rock 'n' Roll era that blended Bluegrass with a Rock beat. Simon and Garfunkel tried for a more mellow sound. Paul Simon wrote both words and music while Art Garfunkel sang lead vocals. Note the rich vocabulary in the song. Simon aimed for a slightly affected "poetic" style. Unfortunately youtube has disabled embedding for this video so you have to click on the link to hear the song.

What I dream I had:
Pressed in organdy;
Clothed in crinoline of smoky burgundy;
Softer than the rain.
I wandered empty streets
Down past the shop displays.
I heard cathedral bells
Tripping down the alley ways,
As I walked on.

And when you ran to me
Your cheeks flushed with the night.
We walked on frosted fields of juniper and lamplight,
I held your hand.
And when I awoke and felt you warm and near,
I kissed your honey hair with my grateful tears.
Oh I love you, girl.
Oh, I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment