Monday, October 5, 2009

NOT REQUIRED: Hold On!

HOLD ON
THE GOSPEL TRADITION is rich and varied, with songs for hundreds of Bible verses. This famous Gospel song is based on LUKE 9:62: "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God."
    More than anything, the Bible is an empowerment text. We see that from the first words of Genesis telling us the world is good and nothing to be afraid of, to the final words in the book of Revelation assuring the faithful that their time will come, if they only wait a little longer. We see it in the patriarchal history (ch. 12ff.), when old Abraham, by faith alone, leaves all security behind, convinced of God's promise of a future that may be far off (in fact 400 years off!).
    But this requires perfect faith. There is no time even to bury one's father, if Jesus calls ("Let the dead bury the dead").
    Lot's wife was one of those who doubted God's call and doomed herself. True, it's an etiological story explaining the presence of salt in the region, but it's also a spiritual allegory. In the New Testament Jesus requires absolute faith first before he can effect a cure. Otherwise he's unable to cure anyone ("Your faith has healed you").
    Among black people, discouragement must have been very great, with obstacles on every side. The temptation to give up must have been just as great. But faith in Jesus was a form of power that could face any suffering.
    Contemporary Gospel artist, Yolanda Adams paraphrased "Hold On" in her recording of "Never Give Up" (emailed previously).
    The message of "Hold On" is the same, based on the Luke text. Follow God (Jesus) but don't stop in fellowship no matter what. Having heard Jesus' message, "I am the way," the singer follows Jesus "when my way gets dark as night," since Jesus is her "light" ("I am the Light of the World," one of the 7 "I Am" sayings in the Gospel of John). Even when others gossip about her, she will not lose her faith. She knows that despite racism here below, no one will keep her from the Promised Land.
    The great Mahalia Jackson sings this song in this recording, though there are others on youtube.


Hold on
Hold on
Keep your hand on the plow, hold on.

Hold on
Hold on
Keep your hand on the plow, hold on.

Heard the voice of Jesus say
Come unto me, I am the way.
Keep your hand on the plow, hold on.
When my way gets dark as night,
I know the lord will be my light,
Keep your hand on the plow, hold on.

Hold on
Hold on
Keep your hand on the plow, hold on.

You can talk about me much as you please
the more you talk, I'm gonna stay on my knees.
Keep your hand on the plow, hold on.
Hold on
Hold on
Keep your hand on the plow, hold on.

When I get to heaven, gonna sing and shout
Be nobody there to put me out.
Keep your hand on the plow, hold on.
I know my robe's gonna fit me well,
I tried it on at the gates of Hell.
Keep your hand on the plow, hold on.

Hold on
Hold on
Keep your hand on the plow, hold on.

No comments:

Post a Comment