Tuesday, June 22, 2010

FINAL EXAM questions for 28 June 2010

FINAL EXAM QUESTIONS FOR  28  June 2010

    1. It's well known that Rod Serling produced his Twilight Zone series to discuss social issues without censorship problems (since the issues were disguised as science fiction). Discuss possible social/political interpetations of "It's a Good Life."
    2. Discuss what Michael Jackson means to you. This, of course, can be positive or negative, but one must always illustrate one's position or give examples.
    3. Discuss the limits of conformity or nonconformity: how much freedom should the individual have compared with the rights of the state to restrict that freedom? You should give specific examples: dress codes are required in the military, for example, in some businesses, and for some clergy. Or, in the famous judgment of the US Supreme Court, "Freedom of speech doesn't give a person the right to yell 'fire' in a crowded theatre." There are numerous examples of this kind.
    4. Discuss your favorite musical artist and what you find of interest in the recordings (music. lyrics, voice); give examples.
    5. Narrate an acrostic on your name in the style of "Mother" and other examples. Use your English name with a brief introduction.
    Example: "My English name is TOM, which I think perfectly captures who I am.
    T stands for toughness: I'm tough in the face of adversity.
    O stands for obstinate. I can be obstinate if I know I'm right.
    M stands for me: I'm responsible for me and no one else. I can't blame society or parents or teachers if I fail by social standards; and I know that only I am responsible to achieve my goals."
    Alternate version (less thematic; that is, less unified by a single idea or character trait):
    T stands for travel. I love traveling to different places, whether foreign or local.
    O stands for obsessed. I'm obsessed with my appearance and spend a lot of money on how I look.
    M stands for money. My main goal in life is to make a lot of money."
    6. Mr. Bevis, in a Twilight  Zone episode ("Time Enough at Last"), loved books. Discuss the book you think has influenced you the most.
    7. Discuss what makes or made you sad and how you deal/dealt with it.
    8. If, like Martin Sloan in "Walking Distance," you could choose to go back to your past, which period would you choose and why?
    (This is from last semester's assignment.)

No comments:

Post a Comment