Monday, June 7, 2010

Bible Songs (Matthew and Luke), June, 2010

BIBLE SONGS, JUNE 2010
TOUCH THE HEM OF HIS GARMENT
Sam Cooke wrote and sang this song with his Gospel group, The Soul Stirrers. When he left Gospel for more money in pop music, Cooke invented what we today call Soul music. Click on console below to hear the song or go here.
Oh
There was a woman in the Bible days
She had been sick
Sick so very long but she heard about Jesus was passing by
So she joined the gathering throng
And while she was pushing her way through
Someone asked her what are you trying to do

She said if I could just touch the hem of His garment
I know I'll be made whole

She cried
Oh
Lord
Oh
Lord and
Oh
Lord
Oh
Lord
Said if I could just touch the hem of His garment
I know I'll be made whole

Oh
She spent her money here and there until she had no
Had no more to spare
The doctors
They'd done all they could but their medicine would do no good
When she touched Him
The Saviour didn't see but still He turned around and cried
Somebody touched me

She said it was I who just wanna touch the hem of Your garment
I know I'll be made whole right now

She stood there crying
Oh
Lord
Oh
Lord and
Oh
Lord
Oh
Lord

Said if I could just touch the hem of His garment
I know I'll made whole right now




WOULD THEY LOVE HIM DOWN IN SHREVEPORT?
Each age has its own image of Jesus. This song, charted by Country great, George Jones, places Jesus in a contemporary scene. The point is Jesus would be as much an outcast today as he was more than 2000 years ago. The only Jesus people worship is the "safe" Jesus in picture books who looks and thinks just like us! Apart from the song's merits, listen to Jones' great vocal, adding color to all the lines. Go here.

If they saw Him riding in, long hair flying in the wind,
Would they love Him down in Shreveport today?
If they heard He was a Jew and a Palestinian too,
Would they love Him down in Nashville today?
If they saw Him talk with ease
To the junkies, whores, and thieves,
Would they love Him out in Wichita today?
Would the rich men think it funny
If He said give up your money?
Would they love Him up on Wall Street today?
If He made the wine from water,
Gave it to their sons and daughters,
What would the folks in Salt Lake City say?
If He talked of brotherhood
As He walked their neighborhoods,
Would they love Him up in Boston today?
Oh, If He said love those who use you,
And forgive those who abuse you,
If He turned the other cheek, what would you say?
Would you laugh and call Him crazy,
And just send Him on his way,
If He walked right into your town today?
Would you laugh and call Him crazy,
And just send Him on his way,
If He walkd right into your town today?

THE LORD'S PRAYER
Mario Lanza sings the most famous setting of The Lord's Prayer. Go here. To hear the song sung by a two-year old girl, go here.

Our father which art in Heaven. Hallowed be thy name. The kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. For Thine is the kingdom and the power, and the glory forever. Amen.

A Catholic nun from Australia, Sister Mead recorded her own version of The Lord's Prayer (1973), which became an international hit. Go here or play console below.



PRODIGAL SON
This is a close song adaptationby The Rolling Stones of Jesus' famous parable of The Prodigal Son, which appears only in Luke's Gospel. Like a lot of music in the Stones, this is really an adaptation of an older Blues song. This is from what's probably the Stones' greatest album, Beggars Banquet. Go here. Lyrics and console below.

Well a poor boy took his father's bread and started down the road
Started down the road
Took all he had and started down the road
Going out in this world, where God only knows
And that'll be the way to get along

Well poor boy spent all he had, famine come in the land
Famine come in the land
Spent all he had and famine come in the land
Said, "I believe I'll go and hire me to some man"
And that'll be the way I'll get along

Well, man said, "I'll give you a job for to feed my swine
For to feed my swine
I'll give you a job for to feed my swine"
Boy stood there and hung his head and cried
`Cause that is no way to get along

Said, "I believe I'll ride, believe I'll go back home
Believe I'll go back home
Believe I'll ride, believe I'll go back home
Or down the road as far as I can go"
And that'll be the way to get along

Well, father said, "See my son coming home to me
Coming home to me"
Father ran and fell down on his knees
Said, "Sing and praise, Lord have mercy on me"
Mercy

Oh poor boy stood there, hung his head and cried
Hung his head and cried
Poor boy stood and hung his head and cried
Said, "Father will you look on me as a child?"
Yeah

Well father said, "Eldest son, kill the fatted calf,
Call the family round
Kill that calf and call the family round
My son was lost but now he is found
'Cause that's the way for us to get along"
Hey


No comments:

Post a Comment