Sunday, March 14, 2010

Psalms (NOT REQUIRED)

GODSPELL PSALMS

THE PSALMS IN the biblical book of Psalms are often read as literature, but they were intended to be sung, as is clear from musical directions in the superscription or by the verses themselves, which sometimes mention musical instruments. But even when sung today, they are often sung in a too reverential manner, as in the Anglican chants. I think a more accurate way these psalms were sung can be heard in two adapations of psalms from the Broadway musical and film, Godspell, based on Matthew's Gospel. The adapted psalms are 103 and 137. There are many youtube versions, so I'm just sending the first links I find. The actual stage and film versions are probably available too if you search for them. The melody for 137 is especially beautiful. The music is by Stephen Schwarz, famous also for film scores, such as Prince of Egypt. Based on Psalm 100, which speaks of a "joyful noise unto the Lord," I think these songs are more faithful to the spirit of the Psalms than the more reverential church hymns and chants.
PSALM 103, adapted. Go here.
Oh bless the Lord my soul His praise to thee proclaimed
And all that is within me join To bless His holy name
Oh yeah Oh bless the Lord my soul His mercies bear in mind Forget not all His benefits The Lord to thee is kind He will not always chide He will with patience wait His wrath is ever slow To rise Oh bless the Lord And ready to abate
And ready to abate Oh yeah! Oh bless the lord
Bless the lord my soul Oh bless the lord my soul!
He pardons all thy sins Prolongs thy feeble breath
He heals thine infirmities And ransoms thee from death
He clothes thee with his love Upholds thee with his truth
And like an eagle he renews The vigor of thy youth
And bless His holy name Whose grace hath made thee whole
Whose love and kindness crowns Thy days Oh bless the lord
Bless the lord my soul Oh bless the lord my soul!
Bless the lord my soul Oh bless the lord my soul! Bless the lord my soul Oh bless the lord my soul! Bless the lord, bless the lord My soul! Bless the lord my soul!


PSALM 137, adapted. Go here.
On the willows, there We hung up our lyres For our captors there Required Of us songs And our tormentors mirth
On the willows, there We hung up our lyres
For our captors there Required Of us songs
And our tormentor's mirth Saying Sing us one
Of the songs of Sion Sing us one Of the songs of Zion
But how can we sing? Sing the Lord's songs?
In a foreign land? On the willows, there We hung up our lives. . . .

For music of a different kind, listen to Mendelssohn's famous concert piece, "Hear My Prayer," based on Psalm 55. Sometimes this piece is heard in two parts, part 2 beginning, "O for the wings of a dove." Go here. For "Hear My Prayer," also based on Psalm 55, go here. Both videos have both music and lyrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment