Saturday, February 27, 2010

MOONGLOW

MOONGLOW

Click here for the 1934 pop song, "Moonglow," used during the moonlight dance sequence in Picnic 21 years later.
    In the film,
midway through the performance of the tune, it's combined, in counterpoint, with George Duning's "Love Theme." This is the version released as a hit record in 1955, during the film's theatrical release.
    (Another hit arrangement can be heard here. Midway through "Moonglow," the Picnic theme is introduced as a vocalise, that is, a wordless chorus, which may be easier to follow.)
    The song is written in the common AABA form used for most pop songs, where (A-1) is the main strain, then repeated (A-2), followed by a new strain (B), called the "bridge" or "release," after which the main strain (A-3) returns. An instrumental break requires a repeat either of A-3 or the bridge and A-3 together, as done here.


(A1) It must have been moonglow way up in the blue, it must have been moonglow that led me straight to you.
(A2) I still hear you saying, dear one hold me fast, and I started praying, oh, Lord, please let this last.
(B) We seem to float right through the air. Heavenly sounds seem to come from everywhere.
(A3) And now that there's moonglow way up in the blue, I'll always remember that moonglow gave me you.
{Instrumental break}
(B) We seem to float right through the air. Those heavenly sounds seem to come from everywhere.
(A3) And now that there's moonglow way up in the blue, I'll always remember that moonglow gave me you.

No comments:

Post a Comment