Tuesday, June 8, 2010

THE MAN IN WHITE (a summary of the life of ST. PAUL)

THE MAN IN WHITE

This is a brilliant summary in song, by  Country singer Johnny Cash, of the book of Acts. The "man in white" is Jesus, but the song is about St. Paul.  "Gamaliel" was Paul's Hebrew teacher (Acts 22:3, 26:4). It was Paul's deep education in Hebrew scriptures that allowed him, a Jew, to use those scriptures so well to start a new religion. In many ways, Paul is the single most important figure in the history of Christianity. Though Jesus revised Hebrew thought, Paul started a new religion.
There are two versions of this song on youtube; Cash's studio recording (here) and a live performance (here).

I studied at the feet of a Master, Gamaliel we called him, the beauty of the Lord. I was born of the tribe of Benjamin, I was a Pharisee and I could quote from memory th Holy Torah. That day that the Nazarene was brought to trial. It was on a Sabbath eve, there was an earthquake when he died. Just another peasant preacher who came up from Galilee, blaspheming troublemaker, we let him be crucified.
     And I thought that I would hear no more about him. But his friends found his tomb empty and then claimed that he rose from the dead. Then they say that he walked among them with the nail wounds in his hands, that king upon a donkey with a thorn crown on his head.
     His followers kept growing in great numbers and the one that they called mocked the sins of judgment hall. And with a Greek named Stephen we knew the Gentiles had come in. I cast my vote against him, he was stoned, I saw him fall.
     Then the friends of the Nazarene became united. And I became enraged and led a slaughter of their leagues. I found their secret places, they were beaten, they were chained. But some of them were scattered, justified in fearing me.
     Then the Man in White appeared to me in such a blinding light. It struck me down with his brilliance it took away my sight. Then the Man in White in gentle loving tones spoke to me. And I was blinded so that I might see the Man in White.
     But like the winds that blows the scattered sea, from Alexandria to Antioch their congregation grew. I went to the High Priest for letters of permission to go to other cities to see my mission through.
     Six days on the hot road to Damascus and just outside the city in the middle of the day, a great unearthly light struck and overpowered me, prostrate on the hot road I was blinded where I lay.
    Then I thought I heard the rushing of great waters and a multitude of angels singing sweet and heavenly. And through the sound of wind came a voice so soft and kind, meant for only me to hear, "Saul why did you persecute me."
     As I lay there on the ground in my blindness, he asked me once again, and suddenly the voice I knew. So finally I managed a trembling response, "Who are you Lord?" I asked him, but I already knew.
     "I am Jesus of Nazareth," the voice answered. "Arise, go to Damascus on the street called Straight. A place where you will wait for my servant, Ananias. He will open your eyes, you'll be a witness unto me."
     So now I live to serve my master. As zealous in his service as I once was as his foe. And keeping his commandments given on Damascus Road, I go to all the world and I let the whole world know that the Man in White appeared to me in such a bliding light. It struck me down and with its brilliance it took away my sight. And the Man in White in gentle, loving tones spoke to me and I was blinded so that I might see the Man in White. And I was blinded so that I might see the Man in White, the Man in White.

No comments:

Post a Comment