Monday, March 8, 2010

ESL vocabulary list, with sample sentences

VOCABULARY for your Class Presentations

This is what an adequate vocabulary for your class presentations should look like. Not only should you practice using this vocabulary, but the vocabulary itself should generate ideas for your presentation if you follow it studiously. This class, strictly speaking, is not about content but about speaking. The content is a pretext to develop standard vocabulary, or words that people commonly use, and in idiomatic strings (collocations). The words below mainly came from the short video segment assigned for home listening and for your class presentations. These will help you not only develop your vocabulary but your expressions (locutions) as well, besides, like I said above, aiding in the development or amplification of ideas. I don't want this class to end up merely as a talking class but as a learning class. There's a difference!

    1. teen suicide: There's been an increase in teen suicides this past year.
    2. high-rise apartment building: She's living in a high-rise in Manhattan. (an example of an adjective used as a noun)
    3. walk the red carpet: I like watching stars walking the red carpet.
    4. adoptive mother: My adoptive father paid for my tuition. (Note the important difference between "adopted" and "adoptive.")
    5. texted a friend: I texted my friend about the coming typhoon.
    6. unconfirmed: There have been unconfirmed reports of stolen laptops on campus.
    7. impromptu floral tribute: 1. My friend and I had an impromptu study session last night. 2. I made a floral tribute for the child who died next door.
    8. rehab: [short for rehabilitation] My classmate went to rehab for drug dependency.
    9. reluctantly confirmed: The police reluctantly confirmed the death of the child.
    10. adoption issues: I'm helping my little sister with adoption issues, since she just found out that her mom is not her biological mother.
    11. dealing with it: Her b/f left her and she's dealing with it as best she can.
    12. financially: My father was laid off but the family is financially secure for the moment.
    13. custody: My mom is divorcing my dad and wants custody of the children.
    14. looking up (for Michael): Things are looking up for Nancy since she stopped drinking.
    15. GPA in high school: My GPA is not high enough to get admitted into that school.
    16. devastated: I was devastated when I found out my little sister was taking drugs.
    17. tragic loss: The family next door is still suffering from the tragic loss of their daughter.
    18. family therapist: My mom took me to a family therapist to help me with my depression.
    19. blockbuster (book/film): I just saw Jim Cameron's blockbuster movie for the third time.
    20. condolences: I sent my condolences to Nancy when I found out her mom had died.
    21. diagnosed: I was diagnosed with a bipolar disorder by my doctor.
    22. bipolar disorder:
I was diagnosed with a bipolar disorder by my doctor.
    23. tragic end: It was a tragic end for that straight A student.
    24. shake your head: I just shake my head when I read about popular girls killing themselves.
    25. come out of the blue:  When I found out she tried to kill herself it was like out of the blue. 
    26. predict: You really can't predict who's going to fall apart for some reason or other.
    27. put their finger on: She can't put her finger on why she's depressed.
    28. radical changes: I've decided to make some radical changes in my life.
    29. worrisome: Mike is pretty worrisome to me. He's always talking about dying.
    30. severity: The doctor said my little sister is depressed but he isn't sure yet about the severity of the depression.
    31. duration: I was on medication for a short duration last year.
    32. evaluation: He underwent an evaluation by two doctors and was declared normal.
    33. anchor: That anchor talked too fast I couldn't follow her.
    34. leading cause: Cancer is the leading cause of deaths among older people.
    35. more at risk: Young people are more at risk for suicides.
    36. older teenagers: Older teenagers tend to settle down after their turbulent early teens.
    37. get divorced: I don't want my parents to get divorced before I leave for college.
    38. pass away (out) [entirely different meanings]: My dad passed away when I was only five years old. My grandfather passed out after drinking too much Shouxing wine.
    39. leading psychotherapist: Dr. Gomez is the leading psychotherapist in our community.
    40. teen depression: Teen depression is becoming an epidemic.
    41. mood swings: My mom has these strange mood swings. One moment she's laughing, next moment she's throwing things at me.
    42. inward: She smiles a lot but inwardly she's sad.
    43. outward: He gives an outward appearance of hostility, but underneath he's kind.
    44. depression per se: I wouldn't call it depression per se, but more like sadness.
    45. acting out: My little brother acts out a lot since dad left home.
    46. resources (available): I told my friend she should make use of the available resources on campus, such as counseling, etc.
    47. handle depression: I know how to handle my depressed moods now; I just turn on the music very loud.
    48. ruminate: Since her b/f left her Sally keeps ruminating all the time, wondering what she did that made him leave her.
    49. success (stories): Bill's life is a real success story. He was hospitalized last year but now he's the best student in the class.
    50. (report) relief: Two of my classmates reported relief from their depression after talking to our school counselor.  
    51. medication: I stopped taking the medication and started feeling sad again.
    52. kid: She's just a kid but already she's taken most of the drugs, such as speed and heroin.
    53. mad/sad/bad: She yells at her mom, cries a lot, and defaces library books.
    54. taking pills (drugs): I don't believe in taking pills everytime I feel sad.
    55. mental health professional: I went to a mental health professional after my girlfriend left me.
    56. (very) critical: The first week after leaving the hospital was a very critical time for me, since it took a while to adjust again.
    57. his own space: My older brother doesn't talk to me like he used to before his depression. I think he needs his own space until he gets over it.
    58. insight: Since undergoing psychiatric care I developed some insight into the causes of my depression.
    59. psychiatric care:
Since undergoing psychiatric care I developed some insight into the causes of my depression.
    60. options: If you're depressed, Jack, there are several options available to you. You can talk to a school counselor, obtain prescription medicine to control your depression, or you can go to a mental health professional.
    61. therapy: I went through therapy for my depression.
    62. mental health professional: Mental health professionals are qualified to handle all kinds of teen disorders, such as anorexia, body dysmorphic disorder, and depression.

No comments:

Post a Comment